Friday, January 2, 2009

It was all a dream...

Have you ever had a dream that you just hated to wake up from? I did, the other night. I almost cried when I woke up and realized that it wasn’t real, it was that great. It was such a fantastic dream and it was basically an affirmation of everything that I’ve ever wanted out of life and when I realized I haven’t gotten it; well, honestly, I was rather depressed. (Let’s take a moment to do a sad face for Melodye.)

So, in order to keep myself from getting too maudlin and self-pitying about the dream, I started thinking about dreams and what they mean. I am not a fan of Freud (I do NOT have penis envy), but his theories regarding dreams being forms of wish-fulfillment got me thinking:

Is my unconscious trying to solve a problem that my conscious won’t let me think about? Is there something preventing me from fulfilling my goals that I’m preventing my conscious from thinking about and thus from solving the problem? Am I preventing myself from getting everything I’ve wanted??

If I am somehow preventing myself from getting everything I want (and, no, I’m not talking about the new bags from Prada or the entire line of Jimmy Choos), how am I doing that? Do I have too much pride? Is there some area I need to improve in? (Quite possibly.) Am I too afraid to put myself out there and see what happens? (yeah…)

I dream in vivid color and my dreams are remarkably clear. I can tell you everything that went down in this dream and minor details about everyone involved. I can even tell you what MUSIC was playing in my dream. (It was Placebo and The Killers, if you must know.)

Sometimes my dreams can be really creepy in that I’ll dream something and then it will happen later. I’m not saying I have prophetic dreams a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but more than a few dreams of mine have come true. Quite a lot of them have, actually, and it’s very disconcerting.

So is this dream of mine going to be one of the ones that come true? Or is my unconscious mocking me? Is this just a case of wish-fulfillment and that’s all that will come of this particular dream?

Is a dream, as Cinderella says, really a wish that your heart makes? Or is it more like what Mulder said on the X-Files: a dream is an answer to a problem you haven’t figured out how to ask yet? Or is it all just the ramblings of a sleeping mind and dreams don’t mean a gosh darn thing?

I’ll end with a part of this song by one of my favorite bands, The Smiths. (They are both amazingly fantastic and fantastically amazing.)

Last night I dreamt

That somebody loved me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm

Last night I felt

Real arms around me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm

So, tell me how long
Before the last one ?
And tell me how long
Before the right one ?

The story is old - I know
But it goes on

- The Smiths

May all your dreams be clear, colorful, and come true.


Boo-yah.

No comments: