Thursday, January 22, 2009

In which I shamelessly beg for your help

I've made it an unofficial policy of mine not to use this blog in a shameless manner. I don’t think anyone really wants to read about my political beliefs. But I’m going to take this time to ask for your help.

Nevada education is in serious trouble. Due to the current state of the economy, the governor is proposing massive cuts in education to help balance the state's budget. These proposed cuts would cause massive tuition increases, layoffs of teachers and staff, fewer available classes, and elimination of degree programs. These proposed cuts not only endanger higher education in Nevada, but also elementary and secondary education. Again, that means much less money for teachers, increased class sizes, and other catastrophic changes. Schools are still reeling from budget cuts in 2007.

I, and so many of my friends here, attend Nevada colleges - I attend University of Nevada, Las Vegas and am majoring in Economics. I know a lot of teachers in the Clark County School District – many of them are my friends, too. My friends’ jobs are in danger because of the governor’s “solution” to Nevada’s budget problems. Some of my friends’ degree programs are first on the chopping block. My major is in danger, as well (which really doesn’t make sense. We need MORE economists now than ever!)

You Nevada residents who aren’t in college or don’t have any kids in school can’t afford to be complacent. Example: one dollar that the state puts into UNLV generates $4.50 in the local economy. That’s not counting the College of Southern Nevada or Nevada State College. That’s not including University of Nevada, Reno. That’s not including the community colleges in the smaller towns throughout the rest of the state. There is real economic growth in danger, if these budget cuts are passed.

Nevada is 49th in the nation in education. Nevada has one of the highest drop-out rates. Why, then, is the governor taking AWAY from education? Shouldn’t he be putting more INTO education? If it were me, I’d be embarrassed to be the governor of a state with such terrible statistics. These budget cuts are making Nevada education worth even less than it already is.

In a few short years, my niece and nephew will be attending Nevada schools. Some of you may have children that already attend these schools. Some of you may be alumni of Nevada schools. Do you want your children to attend schools that have been chipped away at until there is nothing left? Do you want your Nevada college degree to be worthless?

I’m urging you – no, I’m begging you. Please go to
www.savenevadastudents.org and send the form letter to both your Assembly and Senate representatives. It does not take very long to do and there is a link to help you locate your representatives, if you don’t know who they are. I know that I have readers – please don’t count on someone else to make a stand. Stand with the rest of us.

These budget cuts should not, must not, and cannot happen. And with your help, I have faith that they will not happen.

To my faithful readers – don’t worry. The hilarity, wacky, and zany posts will resume soon.