Friday, January 9, 2009

What I'm Listening To...

I love music. I listen to music constantly and if I don’t have some form of music playing, I get a little antsy. I have been known to listen to the ring tones on my cell phone when desperate. That being said, here are ten songs that I currently can’t get enough of. In no particular order, here we go:

“Seemed Like the Thing to Do” by Dinosaur Jr.

Dinosaur Jr. is one of my more recent “discoveries” thanks to Guitar Hero. (I’m not ashamed to admit it) I'm a little late "discovering" them as they've been around for a while, but I already love them. Their song “Feel the Pain” is featured on Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2, and while I do love that song; it’s this offering from the same 1994 album, Without a Sound, which I’m really digging.

“I Wish” by Skee-Lo

Released in 1995 and the title track of his first album, Skee-Lo raps about how he wishes he was just a little bit taller. I love doing my signature lame dance moves to this song, even when I’m rocking out in my office and my coworkers can see me.

“Pretend That You’re All Alone” by Keane

This is on Keane’s 2008 album, Perfect Symmetry. This is fun because it's got an awesome beat and a nice peppy sound. I like to play this when I’m in my office. It's perfect for when I'm ready to go off on someone because it calms me down and gets my head boppin'.

“Promise” by Eve 6

On the same 2000 album, Horrorscope, as the better known “Here’s to the Night”, but still a hit in its own right, “Promise” is a fun song to listen to.

“Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning)” by Vertical Horizon

This appeared on the 1999 Everything You Want album, but was not released as a single until 2001. I LOVE this song. It’s not technically a love song, but a good reflection on love lost. I seriously can’t get enough of this song. I play it ALL THE TIME.

“Human” by The Killers

A super-fun dance track from The Killers’ 2008 album, Day & Age, this song rocks my world. I’m pleased to say that I have this single on a 45 rpm which is on WHITE vinyl. Totally cool!

“Starlight” by Muse

You didn’t think I could do a list of songs I love without mentioning Muse, did you? Silly reader. I love me some Muse! “Starlight” is from Muse’s 2006 album Black Holes & Revelations and is one of my absolute favorite songs by this band. Even though it’s a total larynx-shredder (mad props to Matthew Bellamy for being able to rock this), I love belting it out in my car. I am proud to say that I have this song on a 45 rpm as well (limited edition picture record: Yay me!)

“Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” by Guns’N’Roses

This Bob Dylan cover appeared on the 1991 album Use Your Illusion II, after being a regular in GNR’s live shows. “Knockin’” is a rare song about dying that doesn’t sound morbid. I can listen to this song over and over again without getting depressed, thanks to Axel Rose’s singing.

“Incredulous Love” by Demophon

As of now, this song is unreleased. Demophon is a band that is made up of a good friend of mine. This song is on his Myspace music page and I simply can’t get enough of it. The only thing preventing me from rocking out to it more is that it’s currently limited to the music page, however; I have been PROMISED a CD of completed tracks. I highly recommend you go to the website and have a listen to “Incredulous Love” as well as the other tracks.
www.myspace.com/demophonmusic

“If You Seek Amy” by Britney Spears

This one is the upcoming third single from the 2008 album, Circus. This seems like it could be innocuous, however, once you listen to the lyrics, Britney is actually being pretty naughty. I’m actually surprised that this one is the third single – I would have thought the censors wouldn’t have let this through. This is one of my favorite tracks from Britney’s second comeback album and it totally rocks. “Amy” is another song I like to goof off and dance to in my office. (My poor co-workers.)


This list isn’t all-inclusive – I’ve got a ton of songs that I’m loving right now. These are just top on my list. If you don’t like them, too bad. It’s my blog. :D

I just noticed that there are a lot of power ballads on this list. What can I say? They rock.


**Update 1/12:

I seem to have left these off of my list. MY BAD.

“Pony (It’s Okay)” by Erin McCarley

One of my co-workers told me about this song last week. I downloaded it from iTunes and have not been able to stop playing it since. Just because I neglected to include this song in no way diminishes my total infatuation. Check out her late 2008 debut album Love, Save the Empty. She sounds like Sara Bareilles - which, while I'm not a fan of Sara, is apparently not a bad thing.


"Mansard Roof" by Vampire Weekend

I really don't know how I neglected Vampire Weekend. If I was Catholic, I'd go to Confession. "Roof" is an AWESOME song. Vampire Weekend is an eclectic mix of African pop and Western classical music and the resulting sound kicks MAJOR bootay. "Roof" is from VW's eponymous first album, released early 2008. If you haven't picked it up, DO IT.

"Exit Music (For a Film)" by Radiohead

"Exit Music" plays at the end (fittingly) of Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet and is amay-zuh-zing. While not on any of the R&J soundtracks, "Exit Music" shows up on Radiohead's 1997 album OK Computer. This song is dark and brooding and I love it.

"Talk Tonight" by Oasis

This 1995 song was a B-side to another favorite song, "Some Might Say" and was included on the B-side compilation album, The Masterplan, released in 1998. "Talk" was written during a tough time in Oasis' history (there's a shock) and is basically about how someone talked Noel Gallagher out of jumping off the ledge. It seems like it would be a bit dark, but "Talk" is so heartfelt and open, it's not too depressing.

Last but not least:

"Sunday Morning Call" by Oasis

"Sunday" is one of my absolute favorite songs. Out of all the songs that are on my favorites list, this one is high up there. I'm very pleased to say that I have this song on a 12-inch single (vinyl, for you un-initiated) The only down part of my acquisition: the single has NEVER been opened. I CAN'T open it. I just can't. So I have to just look at it. But it's okay. "Sunday" is from the 2000 album Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, which sadly, was critically panned. But do I care? NOOOOOO! (Oasis is one of my favorite bands ever, so don't be so shocked they show up here twice.)

I considered just waiting to do another what I'm listening to post, but didn't know when that would be. So ergo, the update. Don't get pissy. :D

2 comments:

Wade said...

I want to steal some of your music. I love losing myself in listening to music for hours on end. I still totally want to get a turntable.

Wade said...

I'll get "pissy" if I want to! Update! Haha. You wanted me to keep reading, so give me more to read. You have to give your fans what they want!