Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My thoughtful spot

I am a sports car type of girl. I loved my Mustang and, almost a year after trading it in, am still in active mourning for it. I love my Jetta, too, but it’s not a sports car so it’s a different kind of love. I have never wanted a truck or even an SUV. I’m just not that kind of girl.

But for the first time in my life, today I wished I had a truck.

Why the sudden change of heart, you might ask.

I was feeling very pensive and a little blue this evening and needed to go sort some things out in my head. Possibly have a good cry, even. I needed to just sit and think without any distractions – other than Muse, of course.

One cool thing I discovered very early on in Las Vegas is the airport. (Yes, I know. Of all the things in Vegas, I write about the airport.) The neat thing about McCarran International is that on one of the streets running next to the runways, there is a little parking lot where you can pull off and watch the planes take off and land.

I have always loved planes – military, commercial, private, you name it; I love it as long as it’s an airplane. Maybe it has something to do with my dad being in the Air Force; I don’t know. But I love planes.

So I go to that little parking lot to watch the airplanes when I’m feeling sad, pensive, or lonely. It’s therapeutic, really, and after an hour or so of my “therapy,” I’m usually okay.

But today, my thoughtful spot was no good.


There is a ton of construction going down at McCarran and a lot of it is going on at the runways. From my thoughtful spot, all I could see were parked tanker trucks, piles and piles of rubble and building materials, and cranes. Of the few planes landing at that time, the only parts of the planes I could see were the tails. That’s not the tail I want to see. (hah!)

After a few minutes of that, I decided to try my backup thoughtful spot in Anthem. After driving all the way to Anthem from the airport, I was dismayed to discover that my backup has been paved over and made into houses.

What does this have to do with the sudden urge for a truck? I wanted to go into the desert and do some rough driving. I wanted to do what I still call “off-roading”, but what other people call “four-wheeling” or “muddin’.” I wanted to find a new thoughtful spot, or at least a temporary one to stand in until the construction at the airport is done.

Alas, I do not have a truck, but my lovely Jetta and I was not about to take that into the desert. So I have not had a chance to be all pensive and do my thinking, and more than likely, have a good cleansing cry. Gas is still too expensive to just drive aimlessly, and with a potential crying jag on the horizon, I didn't want to be driving and crying at the same time.

Does anyone have a thoughtful spot that they wouldn’t mind sharing until mine’s back? :(

Wanted: One thoughtful spot. Must be Jetta-friendly. Apply within.

2 comments:

Kael said...

Heh, normally I just pack up my bags and head into the outback when I need to think.... Though that wouldn't really apply in Nevada....

Wow! What a useless comment - well done, Lennox :p

Wade said...

Anywhere near the temple seems to work well for me. I usually just drive aimlessly, though, and it does get expensive. I wondered why I didn't get a sharp response to my text. Haha. I had another spot I used to go, but I can't remember where exactly it was. It's been awhile since I've been down there. I know it was somewhere off of Racetrack and had a good view of everything. Real quiet and away from everything.