Monday, March 9, 2009

My love-hate relationship with Facebook...

Melodye is on the phone. 11:30 am
Melodye is eating lunch. 12:33 pm
Melodye is at work. 12:36 pm


I’m not going to lie or front: I love Facebook. I’m so addicted to it. I’m constantly checking my account to see if anyone has messaged me, commented on my status, or written on my wall. I love that I have been able to reconnect with my cousins whom I rarely see and friends from different eras in my life. I enjoy seeing pictures of children, spouses, pets, and fun places people have traveled to.

Pretty much my only beef is this. There is a plague running amuck on Facebook.

It’s called FISUD: Frequent Inane Status Update Disorder. It should be added to the ICD-IX soon. (look for it.)

I’m sorry, but I do not need to know when a person is out of string cheese, enjoying a vanilla-scented candle, or waiting for their BFF to call, all within a fifteen minute period.

Do not think I am exaggerating, fair reader: nay, but I speak the truth when I say I saw that sequence of status updates once upon a Wednesday.

I realize that I’m probably going to get upset comments, maybe even lose some Facebook friends because of this. So don’t get me wrong: I like seeing status updates. They’re entertaining, fun, and a good insight on people.

I’m guilty of inane status update disorder, too. I’m prone to adapt movie quotes or song lyrics and see how many people can figure out what I’m quoting.

But, correct me if I’m wrong: I think that maybe, just MAYBE there is a difference between a movie quote once every few hours or more, as opposed to “Melodye is eating a muffin,” followed closely by “Melodye is flossing her teeth.”

Right?

I need to get back to my paper about strippers and my adventure going to the strip club for a school project. Which, now that I think about it, may be worthy of a blog write-up soon. I’ll get on that. Really.

Tomorrow’s status update: Melodye has been tackled by the Hulk and put in a sleeper hold for making fun of FISUD-afflicted Facebook friends.

1 comment:

Wade said...

I agree with you completely and I am a severe sufferer of this disorder. Sometimes I really want to throw my phone away and pretend Facebook never existed. But the siren call always lures me back. Maybe we should start a Facebook Anonymous group.