Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Seinfeld in Blog Form

This post has no point. So don’t think it’s going to be particularly enlightening. It’s kind of the blog equivalent to Seinfeld. It’s a post about nothing.

Ye be forewarned.

Two funny things happened this week:

1. As mentioned before, I am sadly lacking in interpretation skills. This is not limited to music lyrics, but also poetry and symbolism. Sadly, symbolism is lost on me. I’m not so great with the symbolism, which is why I remain silent on that subject matter whenever it’s brought up. (It’s also one reason why I’m not great with Isaiah and Revelations in the Bible.)

Ladies and gentlemen for your viewing pleasure: Exhibit A, this recent exchange between my mom and I after reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (spoilers ahead) (fantastic book, by the way):


Mom: I found it interesting how Amir’s father paid for Hassan’s harelip to be fixed when Amir and Hassan were young and how ironic it was that Amir’s lip was scarred in the same way as a harelip while fighting to free Hassan’s son from slavery. What did you think about the symbolism of that?

Melodye: [blank stare] I thought…it was…very symbolic... becauseofthesymbolism.

Mom: [silence, as she looks at me in disbelief, then walks away.]

(There was no slack-jawed drooling.)

Poor Mom. First her kids make fun of her stamp collection and then she can’t even have a basic literary discussion with her daughter.

I paraphrased what Mom said, by the way. My short-term memory is not what it used to be and my mom is a very smart lady and can put sentences better much more cromulently than I can.

You’d think Mom would have learned her lesson from that unfortunate exchange but Mom tried again. This time it was about philosophy. I will spare you the gory details. Suffice to say that it was PAINFUL.

2. Another highlight of my week so far: tripping over my own two feet in the middle of the Student Union. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that it was five minutes after classes let out and it was PACKED. I got a lot of whistles, laughs, and various versions of "Way to go!" Oh well. Maybe I'll get a funny nickname like "That One Girl Who Trips Over Nothing" or "Trip Girl" for short.

On the upside, here is what I’m listening to this week:

1. “Thinking of You” by Katy Perry
2. “Not As We” by Alanis Morrisette
3. “If I Were a Boy” by Beyonce
4. “Twisted Transistor” by Korn
5. “Sober” by Pink
6. “Forever” by Chris Brown
7. “You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid” by The Offspring
8. “In My Place” by Coldplay
9. “Heart Songs” by Weezer
10. “Second Chance” by Shinedown
11. “I’m Outta Time” by Oasis
12. “Disturbia” by Rihanna
13. “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor
14. “Untouched” by The Veronicas
15. “Paper Planes” by M.I.A.


No Muse. I'm shocked.

Peace, love, and chocolate.

No comments: